[Sydney, NS] — Six weeks after the federal government unveiled the long-awaited $14-billion infrastructure fund for municipalities, there’s still no word on what projects will qualify under the criteria in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
Analysis of the new Building Canada Fund appears ongoing between provincial (Nova Scotia) and municipal bureaucrats.
The CBRM is looking to get its proposed five-year, $300-million capital plan underway this construction season.
Mayor Cecil Clarke said the CBRM has already committed $10.7 million this year to core infrastructure replacement and upgrade projects. He’s now waiting for a response from both the province and federal government.
“We have shovels that are ready, we just need to know we have the support to do the work,” he said following a meeting where millions of dollars in proposed cuts to the operating budget were announced Tuesday (March 25).
The new Building Canada Fund, which was first announced in last year's federal budget, is supposed to be available starting this spring.
It is part of the larger $53-billion new Building Canada Plan, which also includes a gas tax fund and a funding model for public-private partnerships.
This infrastructure fund takes over from a previous Building Canada Fund, which expires on March 31.
Clarke said he’s worried about some of the language bandied about in the Building Canada Fund, and there’s concern it may not be as “robust” or applicable to the municipality’s needs.
Some of the bureaucratic wrangling appears to be over the size of the CBRM.
Province: | Section : Construction & Transportation