© Metro Creative
(Originally published in the May 2012 issue of the Nova Scotia Business Journal - "Conferences & Conventions" special advertising feature)
Events can play an important role in furthering the strategic vision of an organization. A memorable experience has the power to engage guests long after the extravaganza.
So how does one create such an experience?
The goal is to inject special touches that are new and innovative and will take guests by surprise.
Consider walking in the shoes of your guest, literally. What do they encounter throughout the event and where do they spend the majority of their time or energy. Your special touches must captivate their senses.
- If your event is Maritime themed, perhaps choose regionally inspired dishes or place a seafood chowder tureen on checkered table linens.
- To add a little casual fun, consider a sports-themed event registration area. Create a box office staffed by jersey-clad superfans.
- Develop “carbon neutral” centerpieces with grass and various images of energy-efficient products for a green-themed event.
- If guests are traveling to the age of disco for a conference dinner/dance, avoid the traditional flower or candle centerpiece. Try using a lava lamp or fibre optic fan light.
- Does your event include a panel? Consider creating a themed backdrop like a living room or TV studio, instead of the normal banquet setup.
If you imagine the guest, you can envision the opportunities for impact. The special touches you create will be remembered by guests long after they return home and kick off their shoes.
* Read more "Conferences & Conventions" stories at http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Industry-Spotlight/Conferences-%26amp%3B-Conventions-23610