Originally published in the July 2012 issue of the Nova Scotia Business Journal - "NSCSA Awards" special advertising feature
The construction industry stands out amongst all others when it comes to exemplary leadership in safety performance improvement in Nova Scotia. In 2011, construction injuries were the lowest Nova Scotia has seen since 1961.
Recently, dozens of individuals and organizations from this sector were recognized for their efforts at the Nova Scotia Construction Safety Association’s (NSCSA) annual general meeting of members and industry stakeholders.
Safest Companies Award (Chair’s Award of Excellence): This award is based on a comparison of the employer’s total assessments paid to Workers’ Compensation versus the actual costs of accidents and injuries experienced by the first over the past year.
• Plumbing: Dartmouth Central Plumbing Heating Incorporated
• Electrical: Pelham Electric Refrigeration Limited
• Flooring: Central Tile Terrazzo Company limited
• Roofing: J.L. Dufour Roofing Services
• Ready Mix Concrete: Ideal Concrete 2006 Limited
• Excavating and Grading: Peters Construction Limited
• Asphalt Paving: Lahave Paving Limited
• Form Work: Provincial Foundation Limited
• Homebuilding: Gaudet Building Contractors Ltd.
• Interior Work: Maritime Drywall Acoustical Limited
• Water/Sewer Works: Dennis Lively Construction
• Commercial Building: PCL Constructors Inc.
• Highways/Streets/Bridges: Cumberland Paving and Contracting Limited
• Exterior Work: Alvin Company Limited
• Industrial Work: Aluma Systems Inc.
• Wet/Dry Heating: Scotia Air Balance 1996 Ltd.
• Masonry: Brimac Masonry limited
Leadership Award: These leaders and their respective organizations are being honoured for publicly assuming a leadership role in advancing the objective of reducing economic and human losses as a result of workplace accidents.
• Bird Construction
James Spidell Memorial Award: Awarded to an individual who demonstrates an ongoing commitment to occupational health and safety and exemplary performance as a safety officer.
Safety Champion Role Model/Mentor Award: Given to individuals who consistently demonstrate outstanding safety excellence and support for their industry peers.
• Tracey Newman
• Brian Field
• Bob Cutmore
COR Evaluator/Trainer of the Year Award: Awarded to individuals who are consistently rated at high levels by NSCSA training attendees and COR customers.
John Fitzgerald - NSCSA
Safest School Award: Awarded to a school in Nova Scotia which has completed the most safety training throughout the academic year.
Hants East Rural High School
Worksite Safety Competition Award: This financial award is given to the winner of the Skills Canada (Nova Scotia) Competition who is going on to compete in the national competition representing the province.